¼ c cashew halves
¼ c boiling water
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp pureéd ginger
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chili pepper
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp curry powder
4 skinless chicken breasts, diced
¼ c tomato sauce
1 c chicken broth
½ c coconut milk
½ c plain yogurt
2 tsp cornstarch, mixed with equal parts water
1. Place cashews in a small bowl, and pour the boiling water over nuts. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Place garlic and ginger in food processor and blend until smooth; set aside.
3. Heat oil in wok over medium heat.
4. Stir in onion, and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Mix in garlic/ginger paste, and season with coriander, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, brown sugar, curry powder, and chili powder.
6. Stir in chicken, and cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Pour in tomato sauce and chicken broth.
8. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Meanwhile, place the cashews, along with the water in which they were soaked, and the cream and yogurt into food processor. Process until smooth.
10. Stir the cashew mixture into the chicken and onions.
11. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
12. Stir in the cornstarch mixture, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
13. Serve over basmati rice.