Here are some discussion questions about democracy, brought to you from America the Book by the staff of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
1. If you lived in a monarchy, would you rather be the king or a slave? Why or why not?
2. What is the central ideological difference between democracy and cannibalism?
3. You're a fifth-century Greek city-state growing increasingly concerned over repeated Persian incursions into the central Peloponnesian peninsula. How many hoplites can you dispatch to Thermopylae without jeopardizing the triremes commanded by Themistocles for the naval engagement at Artemisium? Show your work.
4. Does the expression "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" apply to all cities, or just Rome?
5. The notion that each individual has worth in society found political expression in the invention of democracy. What's bullshit about this?