Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Things "Fall Apart" (But That's a Good Thing)

Like many humans, I am constantly in pursuit of fame and fortune. In the absence of fame, I will take the fortune. Actually, forget the fame. Fame's too exhausting. I want fortune and power. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anyway, my point is that this pursuit it hard. Sure, I'd like to say I'm going to achieve these things on my own merit. I'm certainly trying. But if that doesn't pan out, I plan to ride the coattails of my more talented friends. I've spent several blog posts promoting Julie Slonecki, but now I would like to turn to another impressive friend I have, whom I hope will take me with him when he inevitably joins the 1%.

Joe Cruz does all sorts of impressive things, but the particular thing I want to tell you about is creating this app, just released in the Apple app store:


As this screenshot clearly shows, the app is called Fall Apart, and it's a very fun physics engine-based puzzle game. Basically, you have these blocks that you want to get rid of while making sure your trophy doesn't hit the ground. This screen explains it pretty well: 


The blocks are all subject to the laws of physics, and as you go on, you get new blocks that react in different ways, making the game trickier but also hella fun. The scoring system is based on your ability to keep the trophies up, as well as how quickly you complete the level. 

It's a really well-designed game, and I'm not just saying that because Joe is my friend. The graphics are charming, the physics engine works great, and the puzzles are challenging but totally solvable (I know, I've seen him do all of them). Plus, you can't really tell in this picture, but that little 2D sheep hops around in the background, and it's adorable! I could watch that sheep all day! There are also two other stages that look totally different, but I don't want to spoil them for you.

What I'm saying is, if you have an iDevice (or possibly an Android, I'm not sure), you really should get this game. It's only $0.99, and I truly believe it's worth it to support a very talented up-and-coming app designer. This is a great debut app and certainly not the last we will see of Mr. Cruz. 

And with any luck at all, he will make millions and then lend me like 20 bucks. Fortune and power (and maybe a little fame) here I come!

BUY FALL APART HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment