Monday, September 20, 2010

Journey to Gainesville (FL)

No, you are not experiencing déjà vu, dear reader, I have indeed visited two different Gainesvilles in the past week and a half. I drove many hours today, leaving Tennessee (and CST) at 8:00 a.m., arriving in Athens, GA for lunch with my friend Dot at 1:30 p.m., and finally coming to a stop for the night at the home of my eldest brother at 9:00 p.m. The road was ever so long, but I was kept entertained for 10+ hours by my trusty book on tape, The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.

To any fans of the Percy Jackson series (I'm talking to you, Neville) I highly recommend this book. It is basically the same thing as that first series but with two main protagonists, who trade off the narration, and Egyptian mythology in lieu of Greek. Needless to say, it is delightful. If you haven't read the Percy Jackson books yet, read them too. Here is Neville's review of that series.

Anyway, I'm headed back home tomorrow and thus, will not be spending much time in this second Gainesville, but I wanted to update you on my journey, gentle reader. Hopefully tonight's post has introduced you to a few worthy distractions from the drudge of another work week. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I saw an advert for Red Pyramid. I'll definitely be checking this out! :) Thanks for the multiple plugs, Kimber, and a safe journey back into the FL.

    Drudge averted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mention of the lime green shutter shades?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Neville, you are quite welcome. 'Tis the least I could do :D And I definitely thought of you when I started listening to that book.

    @Dorothy, OMG how could I forget! I think those deserve their own post. I will write about them and soul food tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't they make Percy Jackson into a movie? Rotten Tomatoes said it was shitty so I didn't see it. I'm assuming since the movie is based on the book, the book must also be shitty.

    ReplyDelete